The design and operations of the partnerships are guided by the following principles:
1. Bringing together and supporting existing networks, partnerships and organizations, with a prime focus on utilities.
2. Fostering systematic and structured knowledge-sharing drawing on regional and global experience and involving peer-support partnerships.
3. Responding to the expressed needs of participating utilities and stakeholders.
4. Bringing stakeholders together and organizing activities at the most appropriate levels considering commonalities and cost effectiveness.
5. Commitment to the development and mobilization of regional capacity, in particular, resource centres and learning and research institutions in Africa.
6. Ensuring transparency, accountability and effectiveness in interactions among partners.
7. Ensuring a not-for-profit financial structure that uses sound business practices consistent with the principles of the Global WOP.
8. Ensuring a coherent financing plan that addresses the continuity of the Secretariat and provides the visibility necessary for sound planning
Scope of work of the WOP Africa Program Development Officer :
Under the supervision of the WOP Africa Program Coordinator, the will be responsible for (i) the selection, the preparation, the implementation and the monitoring of WOP projects including the preparation of workshops, trainings and reports (ii) the creation and the monitoring of the knowledge and communication management system of WOP Africa and (iii) the day to day management of the Utility performance assessment and benchmarking database.
Â Detailed Tasks:Â
Â (i)Â WOP projects preparation, implementation and monitoring
-Â Identification of potential WOPs based on the database,
-Â Preparation of questionnaires to utilities interested as mentors or mentees,
-Â Â Preparation of draft MOUs templates between utilities,
-Â Â Preparation of PIP s templates between utilities,
-Â Preparation and organisation of inception, midterm and final evaluation workshops,
-Â Â Organisation of training sessions,
-Â Â Reporting.
Â (ii)Â Creation and monitoring of WOP-Africa knowledge management and communication strategy
1. Generate and manage information.
Â 1.1. Document ongoing WOP Africa experiences,
1.2. Manage information,
1.3. Version information to tailor it to specific audiences.
Â 2. Share and aggregate information
Â 2.1. Share information in workshops,
2.2. Document the outcomes of the workshops,
2.3. Aggregate and synthesize issues of interest for WOP Africa into an information base.
3. Raise the visibility of the WOP Africa agenda
Â 3.1 Create tools to explain what WOP Africa is about,
3.2 Rally support for WOP Africa among African utilities and donors.
Â 4. Support internal WOP Africa members learning processes
Â 4.1. Learn: identify gaps and good practices,
4.2. Develop the capacities of the utility staff in network / partnership management and facilitation.
(iii)Â Â Management of the Utility performance assessment and benchmarking database at technological, operational and decision making levels
- Create a common database, platform and integration of databases,
- Update the database and report regularly,
- Use benchmarking tools to develop Performance Implementation Plans.
Experience and qualifications
- University degree in the water, social sciences or environment sector,
- At least 5 years of professional experience in the water and/or sanitation sector, preferably in project development and project cycle management, including the preparation of proposals, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programmes,
- Excellent organisational and strategic planning skills to analyse, set priorities, take initiatives and complete work to deadlines,
- Be computer literate with proven skills in the use of common software for text processing, framework, and presentation. Acquaintance with data base management software would be an advantage,
- Spirit of initiative and integrity excellent qualities of oral and written expression, and also in the interpersonal relationships,
- Excellent communication skills,
- Excellent control of written and spoken French and English and be able to work in both languages.
- Letter of Motivation,
- Detailed Curriculum vitae in English and/or French,
- Names and contact information of three reference persons. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Â Applications to be sent before 30th December 2013 to the following addresses (both E-mail addresses simultaneously):,
AFRICAN WATER ASSOCIATION (AfWA)/ASSOCIATION AFRICAINE DE L’EAU ( AAE)
Avenue 8 Prolongée – A la montée du pont Félix Houphouët-Boigny
05 BP 1910 Abidjan 05 Côte d’Ivoire
Tel. (225) 21 24 14 43 / (225) 21 24 04 96
Fax (225) 21 24 26 29