To help achieve its ambitions IRC is currently seeking candidates for the position of:
The CEO will guide the development of IRC as an internationally operating decentralised organisation. The CEO will translate IRC’s vision into a strategy for implementation in the sector. The CEO takes the lead in creating new funding opportunities, in supporting innovation and in developing and maintaining an international network of partners. The CEO is an inspiring personality who is able to further develop IRC as a professional organisation and to motivate staff to work as an effective interdisciplinary team. The new CEO is overall responsible and accountable to the Supervisory Board of IRC.
Responsibilities of the CEO are:
General Management of IRC:
- Ensuring the efficient functioning of one seamless IRC with shared goals and resources
- Initiating, guiding, implementing and monitoring:
- the strategy and policies of IRC
- strategic acquisition, resource mobilization and budget/account management
- programme development and implementation, including ensuring independent quality control
- human resource development and management from an international perspective
- Managing strategic platforms, professional and donor networks, and staff relations
- Proactively ensuring a sustainable and broad private and public funding base
- Securing a healthy and balanced budget in line with strategic priorities
- Periodic consultations with the Works Council
Management of IRC’s international profile and position:
- Anticipating and responding to international trends as a basis for IRC’s strategic positioning as a leading knowledge centre in the international WASH and IWRM scene
- Developing and maintaining networks and partnerships to strengthen IRC’s position
- Providing IRC contributions to the evolving international WASH and IWRM policy framework
- Advocating IRC’s vision and concepts in national and international fora
- Mature, inspiring and engaging personality
- Result driven, entrepreneurial
- Networker at all levels
- Leading the way in a dynamic environment
- Leadership in a multi-cultural setting
- Academic level. An MSc from a recognized university in any of the following fields: natural sciences, engineering, social sciences.
- Knowledge of main concepts and trends in WASH/IWRM sector.
- Relevant post-graduate training in development studies, public health or water supply and sanitation.
- Familiar with the political and social context in the Netherlands.
- At least 10 years’ experience as manager of an organisation of professionals operating at the international level.
- A proven record in business development either for profit or non-profit organisations.
- Experienced in the field of international cooperation and development.
- Several years of experience working and living in a low- or middle income country.
- Fluent in English, speaking and writing.
- Excellent communication skills with respect to professional and general service staff; ability to listen, challenge and convince.
- Good working knowledge of Dutch.
- Good command of at least one other language (French, Spanish, Portuguese).
Details of the position:
You will be offered the position of CEO with a competitive salary taking into account qualifications and experience. You will also qualify for IRC’s employee benefit programme. IRC has a working week of 36 hours. IRC welcomes applicants of any nationality, the post will require obtaining a working permit for The Netherlands (granted automatically for EU citizens), and will require being physically based in the Netherlands.
An assessment is part of the recruitment procedure.
Further application procedures:
Submission of applications must be before Monday June 3rd 2013 by email to
The interviews will be held in The Hague between 17th -21st June, 2013.